The Crew Supervisor is responsible to ensure vessels are adequately staffed with a fully trained, competent team to ensure safe and efficient operations in compliance to Safe Manning while working within the established health and safety guidelines and policies and procedures of the Company.
The Crew Supervisor is at least a SVOP, preferably a 60T Captain & SVMO, and is part of the BMT Leadership Team, responsible, in coordination with the Fleet Supervisor, to offset the Operations Manager on days off. This is a blended role that will also Captain a vessel as dictated by business needs.
Operational & Financial (Supervisory):
- Assist Operations Manager with input on daily schedules, reallocating resources among vessels as required to facilitate day to day operations;
- Audit all Daily Progress Reports against the schedule with respect to crewing to ensure that crew are clocking in and out when scheduled;
- Assist Operations Manager with forecasting labour requirements;
- Create and fill schedules for all operational vessels;
- Maintain accountability to the Operations Manager for labour budgets and variance reportings;
- Provide daily reports for each vessel on crew levels, requirements, issues and concerns;
- Manage labour as per budget provided by Operations Manager; and
- Provide direction to team members on daily tasks.
Operational & Financial (Captain):
- Ensure the vessel is operated with a focus on efficiency, minimizing fuel and supplies waste during operation by minimizing idling and other wasteful activities.
- Ensure compliance with local project rules as issued by the client; Operate the vessel in full compliance of regulatory, seafaring and BSG standard operating procedures and policies;
- Ensure that vessel have required inventory of fuel and ship spares;
- Complete pre-departure checks and inspections at regular intervals;
- Provide daily reports for each vessel on fuel, labour and other requirements as per policy and client billing, including damage and incident reporting;
- Complete all handover logs, documents, reports, and action requests and ensure vessel handover is completed with incoming captain and crew at end of shift
- At the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor, Oversee and assist with day to day general maintenance;
- Ensure safety, health and welfare of all crew and passengers on board; and
- Implement and ensure adherence to Bridgemans Services` policies and procedures.
Health, Safety, Environment:
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by coaching and mentoring team members to ensure HSE compliance in day-to-day tasks and ensure the systematic application of best practices; Supervisors are expected to act as an example through diligent practice of all HSE regulations;
- Ensure all team members follow Transport Canada, Workers Compensation Board, International Safety Management Code requirements, as integrated in the Safety Management System as established by Bridgemans;
- Ensure all team members and clients are wearing the project required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and are authorized, via completion of inductions and adherence to standards, before boarding the vessel or visiting/operating/utilizing Bridgemans assets; and
- Lead and participate in daily HSE updates and meetings.
- Ensure crew levels are sufficient for successful operations pursuant to Safe Manning for the vessel;
- Provide verbal and written performance reviews of all crew in support of the performance management of crew;
- Support the skills development of crew, ensuring adequate support, training and development of additional competencies by acting as a mentor for crew and providing training at the direction of the Operations Manager;
- Ensure crew staffing levels are sufficient for successful operations, including applicant screening, interviewing, hiring, performance management/discipline, and termination of crew members with the consultation of Captains and the Operations Manager;
- Conduct onboarding, orientation and training for team members to explain policies, work procedures, and to demonstrate use and maintenance of any required equipment, ensuring that documents and files are complete and kept current;
- Review and approve time off requests and payroll entries for direct reports;
- Review performance and create plans for improvement for team members;
- Support the ongoing development of crew, ensuring adequate training, competencies, and continuous improvement in productivity.
- Maintain a positive tone within the team and work cooperatively through personal behavior, work contribution and the sharing of expertise and knowledge; and
- Act as an ambassador for Bridgeman Services Group in all dealings with the public, management and team members.
Other required duties may be assigned that fall within the parameters of the primary responsibility of the position.
Minimum Requirements /Certificates:
- Minimum Valid Transport Canada SVOP Certificate of Competency, suitably endorsed
- Preferred Valid Transport Canada <60T Certificate of Competency, suitably endorsed
- Preferred Valid Small Vessel Marine Operators (SVMO / SVMO-R) Certificate of Competency
- Valid Seafarers Medical certificate
- Med A2 (A3) and ROC-MC;
- Marine Basic or Advanced First Aid;
- Computer literacy with specific knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License;
- Ability to clear a drug and alcohol test prior to hiring and potential random tests throughout employment with prior notice;
- Previous supervisory level experience responsible for the hiring, training and discipline of front-line employees in a marine environment;
- Excellent comprehension and command of the English language; (written & verbal);
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to positively oversee a team using excellent listening skills and empathy;
Physical Work Conditions:
Repetitive, physical activity involved (Walking, kneeling, reaching, lifting) on floating pontoons and on a vessel in a seaway.
- Lifting light to medium level weights (up to 20lbs. frequently, 50 lbs. occasionally);
- Exposure to weather, dust.
Location / Work Schedule / Rotation: Apply Now
This is a full time position, based in Kitimat, BC, hours and schedule to be developed based on business requirements, and subject to change.